Thursday, June 18, 2009

tHe deadly sin of predictability balanced by the art of consistency.


take a adorable journey with me  IF YOU DARE (lame attempt at an over dramatic statement) OR IS IT? (there I go again).
I want you to try to think the last time you were caught being completely predictable. When that loved one caught YOU being YOU, or that co-worker repeated your "catch phrase" as you said it. How did it make you feel? I know for me mine happened 5 seconds ago. I ran into my local bagel shop to place my order. The 3 fresh faced people behind the counter gave me the usual blank stare as  I approached and gave my order. "BLT on a everything bagel please"?......THEN IT HAPPENED!!!!! (OK i gotta stop) the young girl looked back at her "counter"(get it..counter, bagel shop....hello?) parts smiled and went right to work. They of course giving her the glance of WOW AMAZING! See what had happened was she called her shot. What do I mean. Check this.
I'm a sports nut. I'm all things CHICAGO (bulls, bears, blackhawks, and of course cubs). Needless to say I haven't experienced a ton of winning. But there was "THE DYNASTY" where as for 6 out of 8 years I hung my head high as Michael Jordan ran the world. From October the June MY TEAM was elite, and I let everyone know about it. I remember watching games (vs the Knicks...hollaaaaa) where we would be down by 987 points with 7 seconds left, and yet I just knew we were coming back. I remember watching Jordan take over a game against the Pacers one night, and having to wait to see if he made the shot. Not because it was off. But because the shot he just put up was so perfect it barely touched the net in it's travel. It went up and down completely perfect. It was positive predictability, or consistency. You knew MJ was taking over, and at the end of the day he'd find a way to hit the 989 point shot. He just would...he was MJ. Now back to my bagel beauty. I asked her "Am I that predictable?" and she said the worst words I could hear. "YES". Then she burnt my bacon. 
Depending on your view, predictability can be good or bad. Consistency can be good or bad. For me, the predictable consistency of MJ dominating the Knicks and a BLT sandwich is good, it's actually fantastic. For the Knicks and obviously deli girl, it's hell. The key here is balance. 
There are many Christians, many church's, many ministries that have become so predictable communities know what we are going to do even before we do it. But then there are church's who are so good at what they do when they do it, it shows an amazing art of consistency. Again BALANCE!
I believe God is beautiful and marvelous and majestic because he has the ability to do what we as people sometimes cannot. He can be consistently consistent while 
Eleanor Roosevelt said: 

“If life were predictable it would cease to be life, and be without flavor”
Like bacon flavored? You better believed I've ordered my last BLT for a while. Or have I?
tHe iDiOt...

No comments: