Friday, May 8, 2009

A GREAT tradition for you to start


So yesterday was my ARI'S 4Th birthday. She had her right of passage and got her ears pierced. Like any other unsuspecting parent, the time has escaped me to the point of aggravation. I don't think any good parent ever feels they spend enough time with their children. I think I do a pretty good job (especially when I compare myself to others). I think I'm way above average, but could be so much better. So I made a national SMUDA holiday that the king (that's me) has declared across the land. This decree says:

(IN OLD SCHOOL ENGLISH ACCENT....JUST IMAGINE THE TRUMPETS SOUNDING THEN..)

UPON THIS LAND, ANY SMUDA WITH A BIRTHDAY FALLING ON A NON-WEEKEND SHALL CAUSE ALL UNSUSPECTING SMUDA'S TO CALL IN SICK, TAKE OFF SCHOOL, FORGO ANY PLANS MADE, AND DROP ANY AND EVERYTHING TO SPEND THE ENTIRE DAY SPOILING "SAID" MENTIONED SMUDA........
decreed by his majesty
KING JAMES III

We've decided to take every birthday that falls on a weekday and EVERYONE must call in, take off, and cancel OR say no to. So that we can make that person in our "tribe" feel oh so very special.
This is something anyone can do. If your married, dating, kids are grown, college aged, whatever. We can get so caught up "chasing" whatever it is that God has put on your heart to chase, that at the end of the day your life became this series of chases (which is not ALL bad) but when it gets to the point where we've missed the out on the loved ones around us. IS IT REALLY WORTH IT?

I've really been praying that God would give me the wisdom to stop, and breathe in the "moments" with the people I dearly love. My wife, my kids, my mentee's, the people who call me pastor, and the people who call me friend. Like I said, comparatively speaking, I'm really good at this...but here's my scariest thought.

Yesterday was her ears pierced!

Tomorrow I'm walking her down the isle!

And I refuse to miss a single big event in between...

Start a tradition...take the day.

tHe iDiOt....

No comments: