Friday, January 16, 2009

tHe pursuit of "the clap"..(not the std....)





If your a movie buff like me, it's never really about the "whole" movie...as much as the many moments within a movie. The parts that make you well up inside, or let out a laugh, or cheer louder then you expected....
One of my all time moments takes 45 seconds in a movie. Pursuit of Happyness starring Will Smith as a dad who refuses to quit despite all the chips not only being down, but obliterated. Will Smith is amazing in this role. He captivates, yet his greatest moment comes towards the climax of the movie. Basically he gets what no one expects him to get, what he himself wasn't even sure he could get, and no one especially wanted him to get. But he gets it. He wins!
He went 22 rounds with the world and he wins, and your excited for him, and Will plays the part of a guy who's about to explode at the news that "he's getting the job!". 
Here comes the great scene. He walks briskly out of his office, down the elevator about to explode. He gets outside and doesn't know what to do with himself, so he begins shuffling with the crowd walking in sync with them. 
Then comes the clap....

the clap above his head says everything, the clap above the head is probably 2.3 seconds, but it represents everything he's thinking...and you can so relate (OR WANT TO...)

The clap represents a fight...a bloody, messy, uncomfortable fight....
The clap represents the winner. 
The clap is says the battle is over, and I have won. 
The clap says I may have wounds, but I'm not defeated
The clap is closure
The clap says you can breath again
The clap says "IT WAS ALL WORTH IT"
The clap justifies you
The clap solidifies you
The clap proves others wrong about you
The clap removes the option of anyone writting you off...ever again
The clap confirms you
The clap releases you
The clap symbolizes all these things above but most importantly 

the CLAP says 2 things
IT IS FINISHED......AND WE'VE ONLY JUST BEGUN........


I looked over at my wife the other night as we 
re-watched it again....all I could say was.....soon...I want that clap!!!!!!

1 comment:

phil 4:13 said...

Jimmy, I had to watch this movie in segments...it was so everwhelming as I had experienced some of the same emotions during my first marriage. So I recorded it and watched as much as I could and then would have to go back to it. It is an amazing movie and I understand what you are saying...